Tuesday, February 11, 2014

The Influence of Family, Culture, and Society in Early Childhood course was very insightful. The most surprising information was the novel “The spirit catches you and you fall down: A Hmong child, her American doctors and the collision of two cultures” by Anne Fadiman. This eye opening novel provided insight into how different cultures have different values and beliefs. I became more sympathetic on the plight and strength it must take for a family to travel to a new country and encounter multiple change. The novel opened the way for discussions on biases, biases that exist due to culture, language, race, ethnicity and sexuality.

The values and beliefs of one’s family develop the child’s identity. Early childhood professionals need to take into account family dynamics and societal norms when working with young children. It is important to display all family structures in the classroom and include literature that depicts family structures. One must also include the language of the home within the school environment this aids in building reciprocal relationships. These relationships between home and school are vital for the ultimate growth of children.

Another aspect from the course that aids in student growth is the development of resiliency. I connected most with the Resiliency Wheel by Nan Henderson. The resiliency wheel provided research behind the items that I promote in my classroom and throughout the school. These items include setting and communicating high expectations, providing care and support, setting clear and consistent boundaries, providing opportunities for meaningful participation, increasing prosocial bonding and teaching ‘life skills’. I have learned throughout my years as an early childhood professional that children will live up to expectations within boundaries that are set in a caring and supportive manner.

Children that grow up in a caring and supportive family build secure attachments. I learned through researching the challenge of giftedness in early childhood education that secure attachments lead to young children reaching their full potential. When a child feels safe, they are more apt to be curious of their environment and explore their surroundings. The child cultivates self-confidence and persistence, skills that are necessary for lifelong learning. These secure attachments should be developed between the child and the teacher as well. Mimi Wellisch stated, “Secure attachment may be the gatekeeper to unlimited possibilities” (2010. p. 124). The development of children that are lifelong learners is currently an aspiration and will continue to be an aspiration in the future.

One area that I hope to further investigate and will motivate me in the profession is the identification of and development of effective gifted programming for young children. “Karnes and Johnson (1987a, p. 198) suggested that rather than cognitive goals, suitable objectives for gifted preschoolers include:
(a) a healthy self-concept and good self-esteem;
(b) appropriate interpersonal skills;
(c) a high level of curiosity and motivation to learn;
(d) ability to persist as task;
(e) willingness to take risks;
(f) ability to engage in creative and productive thinking;
(g) acquisition of higher level thinking process; and
(h) ability to work independently and in groups (as cited in Walsh, Kemp, Hodge, & Bowes. 2012. p. 122-123).
These objectives will be used as the foundation in the development of an early learning center. A center that nurtures self-reliance, problem solving, cooperation and self-esteem while building children’s gifts and talents through challenging and stimulating activities of interest.

Reference:
Fadiman, A. (2012). The spirit catches you and you fall down: A Hmong child, her American doctors and the collision of two cultures. New York, NY: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.

Resiliency.com. (n.d.) Retrieved January 5, 2014, from http://www.resiliency.com/free-articles-resources/crisis-response-and-the-resiliency-wheel/

Walsh, R., Kemp, C., Hodge, K. and Bowes, J. (2012) Searching for evidence-based practice: A review of the research on educational interventions for intellectually gifted children in the early childhood years. Journal for the Education of the Gifted 35(2) 103-108. DOI: 10.1177/0162353212440610.

Wellisch, M. (2010). Communicating love or fear: The role of attachment styles in pathways to giftedness. Roeper Review 32(2) 116-126. DOI: 10.1080/02783191003587900.

4 comments:

  1. Sharon,

    I share the same thought with you that the Fadiman (2012) text influenced my thoughts on dealing with families from other cultures. Unless you have had the experience of moving to another country to live, you do not fully understand the influence it has on a child and their family.

    As I reflect on my school and how I have dealt with immigrant families, my first thought was "I have never had such a clash with a family” as described by Fadiman (2012). However, upon thinking a little more on this I realize that so many of the immigrant families are polite and would not necessarily voice their disagreement with me. I realize that at any given point in time I could be "the other side of the story." I have become acutely aware of my responsibility to listen to families, to hear what they are saying, and see things from their point of view. This course has given me the opportunity to look at my school and my leadership from a new cultural perspective.

    As I have read your blog and watched your video presentation it is evident that you have a keen interest in giftedness in the early childhood environment. Too often these children slip through the cracks in the early years and by not recognizing these children we have done them a disservice. As a result of the information you have provided, I am aware that I need to go back and look at the children in my school and make sure that all children are being challenged to the level of their potential.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I realized that I forgot to place my reference at the end of my post to you so I am including it now.

      Fadiman, A. (2012). The spirit catches you and you fall down: A Hmong child, her American doctors, and the collision of two cultures. New York, NY: Farrar, Straus, and Giroux.

      Delete
  2. Darla,
    Thank you for your comments. Like you I have not had a clash with an immigrant family. I have more clashes with different racial groups. For example, a black parenting stating you don't understand because you are white. There may be truth to that statement but unless the parent is willing to give more than black and white, there isn't much I can do to correct the issue. The Hispanic families I work with are very polite and cordial.
    This course has opened up my eyes to biases and microagressions. I am more aware of my responses to others.
    Thank you for sharing. I hope we continue to have courses together.
    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sharon,

    You might consider asking the parent who stated "you don't understand because you are white" if she can help you understand. Tell her you want to understand but need her help. We cannot understand what it is like to belong to another ethnic group just as I cannot understand what it is like to not have a twin. I get asked all the time what it is like to be a twin. To me, that is a strange question and I usually respond by asking "What is it like to not be a twin?" We do not know or understand these things but other people can help enlighten us so that we can work together toward the good of the child.

    Darla

    ReplyDelete